Can you believe it? 2021 is here! Right now, is the perfect time to sit back and reflect on this past year with your senior loved one. For this new year, you should consider working with your senior to set goals specific to improving their overall health, both physically and mentally. Your senior’s wellness goals should be a priority to ensure that their needs and desires will be met in 2021. Below, read through five things that can help you plan and allow your senior to live a better quality of life.
1. Eat a healthier diet. Not getting the proper nutrition is unfortunately a common issue among seniors. Help your senior focus on getting regular nutritious meals containing fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats.
2. Make new friends. Establishing long-lasting social connections can be invaluable to your senior and help them live a longer, healthier life! When possible, they should consider volunteering in the community or joining a senior center to make new friends. For now, though, local communities offer virtual events where your senior will be able to meet some new friends. These situations will help improve their overall outlook on life.
3. Keep the mind active. Keeping the mind sharp should be a top priority for older adults! There are plenty of ways to work out the brain as a senior, like trying to learn a new hobby, becoming tech-savvy, or having fun with puzzles, crosswords, and even arts and crafts.
4. Get plenty of rest. Getting a good night’s rest is critical for seniors. 2021 could be a great opportunity to implement new healthy sleeping habits if your senior is struggling to sleep well. They could even decide to seek help from a specialist if their problems are severe. Sleep is crucial for seniors.
5. See a provider regularly. Have your senior reach out to their doctor and schedule an annual wellness checkup this year! This should really be done every year, right around their birthday month to keep up on their health and wellness.
2021 is a chance to start fresh with new and healthy habits! Creating goals for the new year can help your senior to look forward to positive changes and getting familiar with a lifestyle change. If you are looking for additional help or guidance creating your plan with your senior, our caregivers here at Extended Family are here for you. Please give us a call today at (603) 430-6863 and schedule your consultation.